Alaska: Day 10: 7-15-93: Denali Wildlife Bus Tour

Today was the day we'd all been waiting for! Finally, 3 days after our arrival, we were granted the opportunity to take the famed Denali bus tour. At 8 1/2 hours long, the tour was truly an all day affair, so we were praying we'd see enough wildlife to make it worthwhile. Thankfully, we were not disappointed.

Weather-wise, the day was a carbon copy of every day so far -- sunny and warm (mid 80's). Though I was now somewhat desensitized, the scenery remained awe inspiring: I took in the snow topped mountains, verdant valleys, rushing rivers, rocky canyons and, towering over them all, the Lord of the Landscape -- skyscraping Mt. McKinley, the tallest peak in North America. Defying the odds for a second time, the mountain's glorious zenith was clearly visible, a heady feast for the eyes.


-----------------------------------Majestic Mt. McKinley-------------------------------

No one could deny that the Alaskan topography was breathtaking, but for us binocular bound and camera clad tourists, it was merely a backdrop for the wildlife of "The Last Frontier." The variety of animals we encountered was indeed impressive: I observed Willow Ptarmigans (Alaska's state bird), Golden Eagles, Arctic Ground Squirrels, caribou (I made the initial sighting), moose, Dall Sheep and two Grizzly Bears (one small brownish bear and one huge golden bear, which chased and devoured its prey right before our eyes!).

Caribou In The Distance (I Really Need A Stronger Zoom Lens!)

As a side note, I'd like to mention a strange feeling which suddenly came over me as I was riding the bus observing the wild animals in their natural habitat. It was as if I was in a reverse zoo: I was the "caged" animal, and the free-roaming creatures were studying me. After all, I was the intruder, the oddity -- perhaps only there to satisfy the animal's curiosity ("Oh, look at the Humans! Aren't they cute?")

At the end of the first leg of the tour (Eilson Point), the bus stopped for a 40-minute lunch break. Dave and I wasted no time in climbing to the highest peak in reasonable proximity -- this provided an exhilarating view during our midday meal. Before heading back to the bus, we took some pictures of each other.

------------------------------Goofing Around At Eilson Point---------------------- --(I'm glad Dave Took This Picture Before I Went Much Further)--

Towards the end of the tour, the run of perfect weather abruptly ended as clouds moved in and a torrential downpour began. The rain started falling at 5:00, and it's still doing so now at 8:30, with no sign of letting up. This doesn't bother me terribly, as I had no set plans anyway, and the lousy weather has afforded me the opportunity to catch up with my journal writing and relax with a new book, Interview With the Vampire.

I am currently alone, as the others have gone off to do their own things. I sit here and listen to the rain pattering on the cabin rooftop, and I find its steady rhythm oddly comforting. A particularly stunning bolt of lightning rips incandescently across the sky, and the accompanying thunderclap booms shortly thereafter. Perhaps I'll see a rainbow when the storm clears.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Whooaaa, wildlife. I love wildlife. We see a variety of things from time to time in my backyard, but not all at once.

To name them, we have seen Whitetail deer, coons, opossums, a crane, a bobcat on the front porch (seen by me and only me, and the camera wouldn't work quick enough), bear, fox, redtail hawk, grouse (or was it a pheasant?), groundhogs (who have permanent refuge in the weeds), wild turkey, porcupine, tree frogs, ducks, coyote, and this morning I was listening to an owl just outside of my bedroom window.

I love the outdoors!

Sue said...

I was just wondering, does any of Alaska seem similar to this.