Oceania: Day 43: 8-15-94: Love Sydney! (No Silly, Not That 80's Tony Randall Sitcom)

I spent today on a self-guided tour of Sydney (I'm not necessarily a big fan of doing so-called "touristy things," preferring to view myself as a more "serious traveler," but even I put on the tourist cap once in a while).

First I visited the Queen Victoria Building, a historical structure with gothic architecture and colorful stained glass windows . . . which has been shamelessly converted into a mall (Just because I'm doing touristy stuff doesn't mean I can't be critical!).

Then I went to Darling Harbor, another beautiful landmark which has become a shopping center and all-around tourist trap (there was even an Aboriginal Show which had everything except authentic Aborigines). Nonetheless, it was a prime viewing spot to watch the ships (and monorail) cruise by the shiny cityscape (See, I can find the positives, as well).


---------------------------------------------Sydney-------------------------------------------


I held out as long as I could, but with all the gift shops assaulting me, it was only a matter of time before I gave into the urge to purchase something. I scoured the stores, looking for something special. As I window shopped, I discovered that Sydney is damned proud of its selection as the host city for the 2000 Summer Olympics. "Sydney 2000" was plastered everywhere, and the multi-million dollar stadium was already completed -- a full 6 years before the torch will be lit! The logo was attractive (a combination of the Opera House and the Olympic Rings), but I ultimately resisted buying a T-shirt, since I plan to return to Sydney and experience the event firsthand. Instead, I purchased an Aboriginal Art shirt which had a smart looking, authentic print and perfectly complemented the kindergarten Australia unit I was putting together (I could wear it when I introduced the Aborigines).

Next I decided to get a bird's-eye view of Sydney by taking a lift up to the observation deck at the top of Sydney Centrepoint Tower (the tallest structure in the city). It was a clear day, and while I couldn't quite see forever as the musical boasts, I did get a great glimpse of Hyde Park, the Cathedral, Sydney Harbor, Darling Harbor and the tower's own huge shadow.

Finally, I took a ride on the Manly Ferry, which shuttles between Manly Island and the mainland, providing excellent views of the Opera House, Harbor Bridge and Sydney skyline along the way (In the bright light of day, I was finally able to capture photos of the city and its landmarks, ameliorating the disappointment of those wasted shots I took on Saturday night).


-------------------------The Iconic Sydney Opera House-------------------------


I arrived back at Glebe Point Hostel around 6:00 p.m. and spent a few minutes talking with my colorful bunkmate, a crass but amiable Kiwi who calls everyone (friend and foe alike) a cunt, which just might be the single most offensive word in the English language. I didn't know that particular label could even be applied positively, but this guy considers "He's a fine cunt" to be complimentary (as opposed to "He's an old cunt," which is decidedly perjorative). I thanked the endearing fellow for teaching me all the nuances of the c-word and then went off to feed my grumbling tummy. After scraping together the last of my spare change to buy a modest meal (leaving just enough money to pay tomorrow's Australian Departure Tax), I decided to make the last night of my vacation a truly rockin' one -- I was asleep by 9:30.

No comments: