Oceania: Day 21: 7-24-94: Contiki Tour Begins

I woke up at 5:00 a.m., along with my "roomies" Autal, Robby and James. We played a game of Hearts before grabbing some "breakie" and meeting the rest of my Contiki cohorts. And the answer is yes -- there are indeed women on our tour (although the men drastically outnumber them, and several are married).



------------------------------The Contiki Tour Bus----------------------------


Today was a busy, yet easy day. During the first part of the morning, we went to see a war memorial, a telegraph station and the springs that gave the area its name (at least, that's where Contiki went -- a few of us [myself included] ditched the latter two stops on the official tour in favor of climbing a nearby rock mountain). Next, we went to view the twin ghost gums (two alabaster trees immortalized in a famous painting) and Flynn's Memorial (the grave of a missionary -- credited with initiating the Royal Flying Doctor Service -- capped with one of the "Devils Marbles" [a red boulder from the eponymous conservation reserve]).

After a quick lunch, we continued our tour in the afternoon. We went to Standley Chasm (where I did some neat rock climbing) and Simpsons Gap (where I saw my first wallaby). Finally, we went to visit the Royal Flying Doctor Service Museum, where we learned all about the volunteer emergency medical fleet charged with airlifting ill/injured folk from the isolated desert environs of the Northern Territory (The "Australian Outback") to the nearest hospital. Though the RFDS is certainly a great idea and a vital service, the museum was really quite boring. Our visit ended with the showing of a painfully dull film on the history of the organization, the "lowlight" of which was Ted Egan's (a local balladeer) pathetic singing tribute to the fallen Flynn (let the man rest in peace already -- must we besmirch his good name and great deeds with a sappy dirge?!).


----------------------------------Standley Chasm-------------------------------



------------------------Simpsons Gap (See The Wallaby?)----------------


In the late afternoon, we all had some free time to explore downtown Alice Springs. I bought the last of my gifts (Aboriginal coasters and a CD for Rich & Scott, plus a souvenir pin for Rich's collection), and I headed back to the Oasis, where I did my laundry, sunbathed, competed in a pool match (lost in the first round!) and wrote in this very journal.

At 7:00 p.m., our entire Contiki crew went to the Overlander's Steak House, where we feasted on an unlimited buffet of exotic Aboriginal vittles such as emu, camel, barramundi (fish), kangaroo and crocodile. Each was tasty in its own right, but I still think kangaroo is my favorite. I washed down this Aussie Animal Kingdom meal with two bottles of Strongbow Dry Cider. The fermented apple brew was very smooth and extremely intoxicating. During the course of all the courses, I came to memorize a whole slew of names and faces. In addition to the aforementioned Autal, Robby, James, John, Max and Roger, I met the following: Brad, Sharon, Jody and Rachel (Australia); Mark (England); Bonnie (Florida -- the only other American besides Roger and myself); Ria, Fumi and married couple Titsumi & Satomi (Japan); Luciano & Luciana (Italian couple); Sonjia and Kirsten (Germany); Espi (Tasmania -- the "forgotten" part of Australia); Noam (Israel); Dave, Paola and Monique (The Netherlands); Ralph, Rolph and Ralf (It may take me a while to sort them out!); and Scott & Carl (Our Aussie tour manager and Kiwi bus driver, respectively).

Soon after dinner, it was time for the raucous Australian merriment to begin. An old, but lively, man took the stage and began to sing Australian folk songs (Waltzing Matilda, Tie Me Kangaroo Down, etc.). It was during the latter song that the man chose Sharon and myself to come up on stage and play the "wobble board" (Basically, the name says it all -- you hold a thin board by the ends and wobble it). I must say that I took to the new instrument quite readily, and I'm seriously considering a career change.


------------------Sharon And I Play The Wobble Boards----------------


Next up, Autal, Bonnie, Titsumi, Satomi, Luciano and Luciana went on stage to perform a silly song called Give Me a Home Among the Gum Trees. (It was amusing to watch the two foreign couples, neither of which spoke much English, as they attempted to understand just what exactly was going on. Note: The newlywed Italian couple was equally puzzled during a later impromptu celebration of their honeymoon -- a cake with sparklers came out and they looked scared/confused when it suddenly popped over their shoulders and everyone started shouting out good wishes. ) Autal was his usual colorful self, making a suggestive humping gesture everytime the group sang the line about the "old rocking chair." At the end of the song, a few brave souls opted to get their butts branded with the restaurants logo (Bonnie had a hole burned right through the pocket of her jeans!).

When the smoke cleared, a bunch of us went to the hotel bar and listened to a local band. I cut out at 11:30, suddenly remembering that I had to be up in 4 1/2 hours to go ballooning.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Butt branding? I never knew. Your stories are captivating, Chris, you certainly had (already) a glorious adventure in Australia.

I've adopted that country, you know? I'm so homesick for it. Someday I'm going to use up all three months on my VISA when I'm rich and (much) older. hehehe