Oceania: Day 14: 7-17-94: Fiji Finale

I awoke to a beautiful morning. Stretching my arms and rubbing my eyes, I walked outside amidst the newly risen sun and tropical air and proclaimed myself the luckiest man in the world. I took a shower, ate a leisurely breakfast, strolled along the beach and settled into a comfy sun chair. Relaxing had become such an addiction that I almost revolted when Tom came around later in the morning asking John and I to join him for a brisk run around the island (it had recently taken a Herculean effort just to reapply suntan lotion or turn the next page in my novel). But I stopped just short of grabbing a pitchfork, realizing I could use a little exercise. It turned out to be an easy, pleasant run -- which exhausted me nonetheless.

I spent the day much like the one previous -- swimming, sunbathing and conversing with my new friends. Emil offered to take me (and John) out on the resort's catamaran, and I readily took him up on it. I'd never been sailing on one before, and I enjoyed the calm, breezy ride.

Soon it was time for lunch. We were presented with a scrumptious all-you-can-eat barbecue for $10 (Eve and I shared a plate to conserve our dwindling cash reserves). I was enjoying my third chicken leg when John came over and informed me that he was leaving for the mainland (he was going to attend a YWAM prayer service and spend the night in Lautoka with a group of Christians from New Zealand he'd met earlier in the trip) -- it was time to part ways. I felt a real sense of loss and dejection at this news. Even though John and I had only known each other for four days, we had become fast friends and inseparable travel companions. I assured him we would keep in touch and gave him a hearty handshake goodbye. His parting words were classic: "You're not bad for an American."

Julie left not long after, and I told her I'd try to get to Quebec in the Spring. I spent the rest of the day with Dawn and Eve (As well as Emil, at least intermittently. He had things to do on the ship, but apparently his raging adolescent hormones wouldn't let him stay away for too long -- he clearly coveted the twins and wasn't comfortable leaving me alone with them for an extended period [like either of us had a chance, anyway!]).


--Dawn and Eve soak Up Some Sun in Their Flattering Bikinis--
----------(Finally, Something That Gets Emil to Smile!)----------

The evening soon came upon us. I had a last bowl of kava (I guess it really was growing on me!) and a parting meal of chicken soup, and I bid adieu to my friends (promising each, in turn, that I would find a chance to visit them -- Dawn and Eve already had me " California Dreamin' ").

The end of my Bakana experience was the same as the beginning -- good ol' Captain Kelly drove me on the boat back to the Lautoka docks. We bid farewell with a multifaceted handshake, and I could tell that he was genuinely going to miss me. He said he hoped I'd come back soon, and I knew he meant it.

I craftily avoided an $18 taxi fee to my hostel by grabbing a "return fare" to the Nadi Airport for $1. From there, I hopped on the free shuttle bus to town. I arranged for a taxi to take me to the airport in the morning (another $1 return fare) before slipping off to bed.

No comments: